Sunday, January 25, 2009

My experiences in Singapore in the 1st sem








It was July 19th night; I and my friends were in the Chennai airport for my departure to Singapore. It was my first overseas journey, which had caused me more excitement and added my eagerness to reach the foreign soil. Of course  that was the first tie i am leaving my parents and my home and so I was very thrilled.

 

On 20th July I landed at Changi airport at 8 am. Singapore is the busiest airport in the world as it is famous for its international trade and tourism. My friend was waiting for me and for my two friends who accompanied me. We just took a taxi over there to drive to the hostel which is on the other end of the Singapore. The drive lasted for an hour and it was really a beautiful one as it showered us with the beauty of Singapore. The roads were clean and every where I could see long green trees. Beautiful plants in the barricades which added something to the beauty of Singapore. Then finally we went to the hostel and my room was in 10th floor. Nothing to expect from a bachelor room, so there was just a bed and some pillows. So first time started to face difficult situations in my life and it felt really good to learn the things from the situation that rose.

 

So I decided to have a bath and go for shopping to buy the necessary things for the room. Finally we started to cook in the night for the first time in my life. None of us had any cooking experience. So it’s just a trial and error method for us but I would it was really a good experience. We did fight with each others to make the dish but all for one cause. Don’t ever think that we did a special dish with my explanations. We just did rasam and rice. But all we learnt is that how we should not make mistakes. So that was the first lesson for me.

 

23rd July I had been called by the university to join the college and finish up the necessary formalities to join one of the world famous university NTU. The first day in the college was really a wonderful experience. Nice buildings with awesome infrastructure and green trees everywhere made me stunned. It was a tired day for us as I and my friends went here and there to find the departments and office of finance specifically. Finally registered for the course and had lunch in one of the Indian canteens of the university. It was really good to eat some Indian food in Singapore where Chinese food is very the most common food to be found in all the hotels and canteens. I am really lucky to be in one of the huge and beautiful university in this world and compete with some international students. Finally went to the room and took rest. The next few days I was free and had no work. So I and my friends started to roam Singapore and went to nearby shops. We also did search for an Indian provisional shop and finally succeeded in finding one after walking over 2 km for an hour.

 

We all went to Sentosa beach and Raffles place and then  finally went too little India to have a nice Indian dinner. Little India is one of the place in Singapore where you can find most of the Indians roaming here and there same like a busy shopping street in Chennai or Mumbai. Our hunger and the desire to eat good and tasty Indian food finally fulfilled there in the little India. Then the days went off by just sitting in the room and enjoying the days as the registration day was on August 2nd. Then finally the classes started on august 4th. The professor’s language was not that much understandable as they were some few Chinese professors and their English was really bad. Day by day I was able to catch their accent The library was really awesome with some astonishing books and magazines. I am really happy to study in this one of the world class university. 

So days went off like anything as we started to study and 4 months went like 4 weeks. Finally exams came and the preparations were very serious. I wrote the exams little well and expected some good marks which happened by the god's grace and I am very thankful to him and my parents.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah..its a nice green place to live and am sure u ll enjoy more in the future.. but i feel nothing comes close to our home as it comes in a movie "sorgame endralum ada namma oor pola varuma.."

Sudhar said...

yes sure barath u r absolutely correct..........

Ajay Kumar said...

watever u feel for home, its natural and expected... but whenever u move out like this it gives u a lot of exposure and first times experiences are life time lessons...

njoy the world at ur feet dude.. rock on..

Sudhar said...

Yes ajay ....I just worte what i felt...infact I told to my dad that I want to get the exposure and these experiences before coming here ..so I am very happy with what has happened...If I wouldn't have come here I wouldn't have got a good friend like you :P